Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

Mixed Berries Ice Cream

This was just a craving for all things berry.  It was also my first discovery on how to use my ice cream maker.

Before freezing.  Soft-serve stage.

After some research, this style of ice cream - where no custard is involved, is considered as "Philadelphia Style" ice cream.  I actually like the simple, no hassle method it employs.  As you may know, Meow has no patience whatsoever, so cooking custard is a bitch.  This recipe seems perfectly brilliant to my non-patience.


Mixed Berries Ice Cream
adapted from this particular recipe from Group Recipes.


16oz of berries (I used frozen berries from Stupidstore)
      Meow Mix: blackberry, raspberry, strawberry, blueberry
4oz of castor sugar
10oz of whipping cream (I used 33% fat)
juice of 1 lemon

  1. Puree the berries in a food processor
  2. Strain the seeds out with a mesh strainer.
  3. Stir in sugar, cream and lemon juice.
  4. Pour into your ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions to make.
  5. Freeze overnight and serve.
Start!

5 minutes later

10 minutes later

15 minutes later

20 minutes later

25 minutes later

Finished!



Makes about 1 quart
--------------
I didn't strain out the seeds which I now regret.  I did debate about it when making the ice cream batter and this was the rationale that was happening in my head:
     "Maybe you should strain out the seeds, it's gonna suck to chew through them."
     "But I like the texture with the seeds in it!  Makes it 'berry like'"
     "Yeah, but do you want THAT much seeds in your ice cream?"
     "Meh, it won't be THAT much.  I can deal with it.  Besides, it'll be too much work to strain."
     "Your funeral."
Moral of the story: ALWAYS, listen to your the little voice in your head.

If you do want some seeds in it, you can scoop a bit of the solids that's left behind in the strainer and put in back into the ice cream batter.

This ice cream, after freezing, doesn't stick and curl in the ice cream scoop that well.  It's a bit crumbly.  Tastes great though, not too sweet.


No comments:

Post a Comment