Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Mini cupcakes


Cupcakes are just too fattening...what if I made small ones and I *could* just eat one little one?  Wishful thinking really, but it's self-denial.

I made them anyways in between making pork cutlets rice bowls during dinner.  Those little mini muffin pans must have a better use than to make two-bite brownies.

The most appealing part about cupcakes is the decorating part.  I'm not that creative, but I still have fun playing with the pastry bag.  Oh, this time, I got to play with the pastry bag TWICE!

This is a different cupcake base recipe as opposed to the previous wheat one.  The cupcake base recipe can also be applicable to making an actual 9" cake.  Frosting is the same recipe.

Vanilla Cake Layer
adapted from The Art & Soul of Baking


3/4 teaspoons of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 cups of flour
6 oz of unsalted butter
1/2 cups of sugar
3 whole large eggs
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
1/3 cup of sour cream (I used 14%)



1. Cream the butter and sugar together until light in colour and fluffy

2. Add vanilla extract and continue mixing until incorporated.

3. Add eggs in one at a time, mix until it is absorbed before adding the next one.

4. Sift the baking soda, salt, and flour together in a separate bowl.

5. Alternately add the dry mixture and sour cream to the butter mixture with the mixer on lowest speed.
     Dry - sour cream - dry - sour cream - dry  


6. Mix until smooth.

This is approximately the consistency you should end up with.

7. Preheat oven to 350F.

8. Butter or line your cake pan.

9. Spoon or pipe the batter into the holes.  Fill it about half way up.

I filled them a little too high.

10. Bake for about 20 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.

Puff Puff Puff

Don't worry about muffin top, it didn't happen to me.

A look inside.

11. Decorate with frosting or sprinkles or any edible decorations you can think of.
     I used a large (1cm diameter) open star tip to pipe the frosting.

They look like they're wearing little turbans.

Makes about 36 minis
------------
I still don't know why I made these when I'm trying to watch my caloric intake.  So, I'm pawning it off to people.  Mr. Meow told me after they've been made "these can't stay here".  I know, I know.  I just wanted to play with pastry bags.


No comments:

Post a Comment