Pages

Monday, June 1, 2026

Nana's Banana Bread

Meow Mother loves these.  She's always so happy to get them.  She used to ask for them but now is just to shy to ask because she's afraid I am too busy to make these for her.  Little does she know, I will always make them whenever she asks...At least I make sure to bake a batch for her before she leaves the country for the winter.

This recipe was first seen from a recipe card I got from Reader's Digest many many years ago (like, when I was a kid).  I have since lost the recipe card to the ethers, I have found the same recipe online, but these recipe sites are becoming paywall-based.  So, I will just put it here for my own sake if anything.

Adapted from food.com
INGREDIENTS
Units: US
5 tablespoons butter (70 g)
1⁄2 cup granulated sugar (100 g)
1⁄2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar (100 g)
1 large egg
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 ripe mashed bananas
1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour (219 g)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄2 cup heavy cream
1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts

mise en place - 1.5x recipe shown


DIRECTIONS 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and spray bottom of a 9 inch round pan with non-stick cooking spray.

Beat butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.


Add granulated Sugar and brown sugar; Beat until well blended.


Add egg, egg whites and vanilla; blend.

blended

Mix in the mashed bananas, and beat the mixture on high speed for 30 seconds.




In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder.


Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with the cream, ending with the flour mixture.
1/3 flour
1/2 cream
2/3 flour
2/2 cream
3/3 flour
Combined

Mix in the walnuts and other nuts/seeds

Roasted pumpkin seeds

Chocolate chips


Pour batter evenly into prepared 9 inch round pan (or loaf pan).

small loaf

mini loaf

Bake until golden brown, and toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean (About one hour).

25-30 min for mini loaves

Wrap loaf in plastic wrap while still warm and in Ziploc bag overnight before refrigerating or freezing.



No comments:

Post a Comment